Sunday, November 18, 2012

Let's Learn About the Letter I!


We are back to school after a week of a wonderful visit from Mimi and Papa!  I think I have come to a new realization. I am not sure there is such thing as just a normal week. Weeks that don't seem normal are become the norm! Or I should just say that every week presents its own challenges and surprises!  This week everyone took their turn being sick and we had a surprise home visit from our foster care agency in the middle of it! Yet, we still managed to learn all about I and have some fun doing it. Here is a glimpse at our week!

Monday: I is for Ice Cream
Books: Wemberly's Ice-Cream Star By: Kevin Henkes
How Did That Get to My Table? Ice Cream By: Pam Posenberg
(I have introduced Ava to the terms fiction and non fiction. I now try to have one of each on a topic. We discuss which type of book it is and why it would be classified as that.)
Song: I Like Ice Cream -Jean Warren- 

Part of the ice cream rhyme we recited involved knocking all the scoops of ice cream on the floor. This was Dominic's favorite part. 

For the art activity, Ava had to assemble scoops of ice cream on a cone in order from 0-5. She added some sequence to it for some added sparkle!

During math time, Ava, pretended she worked at an ice cream shop. I gave her four cones to work on at a time. Each cone had a number on it. She had to put the correct number of scoops on each cone. We used the magnetic board for this activity.


One of the language arts activities (not ice cream related) came from www.prekinders.com . Ava was given a set of picture cards and a mat containing pictures that rhymed with the pictures on the cards. She completed three mats. I recommend checking out the prekinders website. She has so many great printable activities! 
Since we have been on break for the last week, we introduced our November calendar pattern this week. This month we will work on completing and AABB pattern. This has become one of Ava's favorite circle time activities. She always wants Dominic to put up the daily weather so she can work on the pattern!

The sensory activity actually involved preparing for a science experiment planned for Tuesday.The kids were given ice cube trays, measuring spoons, and measuring cups. Using the cups and spoons they practiced scooping and pouring water into the ice cube trays. When they were finished exploring the water, I froze the water in the ice cube trays. (I added food coloring to each cube before putting them in the freezer. See Tuesday to see how we used the ice! 
I didn't get pictures of it, but Ava also worked on letter I handwriting practice.

Tuesday: I is for Ice! 
Books: Casy and Derek on the Ice By: Marty Serderman
Cat on the Ice By: Susan Schade and Jon Buller
(I didn't come across an non fiction stories about ice at our library  but these stories were a good reminder that ice can be used to skate on since this is something we have not done yet!)

Songs: I Love Ice Jean Warren 
(Jean Warren has a great website at http://www.preschoolexpress.com. It's my go to place for theme related rhymes and songs!)

The art project was a hit! The kids were given paint pops (just washable paint and water frozen in Popsicle molds) and large white paper. They painted with the ice pops. This idea came from http://www.thechocolatemuffintree.com/2011/07/painting-with-ice-cubes.html. 

It was cool to see how the paint changed as the ice began to melt. 

Ava discovered she could use the paint that was melting in the bowl that held the ice pops and drip it all over her paper. 
The finished results of ice painting. I thought they came out pretty neat! 


Our science experiment used the colored ice cubes we made during our sensory activity the day before. We looked at the molds and talked about how the water changed and why it changed. The kids described how it felt and talked about what shape the ice would be in when we took them out of the molds. (I remembered to cover their clothes, but forgot how food coloring stains hands until after they all touched the ice! Luckily we have plastic gloves on hand and the kids didn't seem to mind that they had red fingers!)

The purpose of our experiment was to observe what happens to ice when it is not kept frozen.. We also used the opportunity to explore colors and how colors changed when mixed. Here Dominic is putting blue and orange ice cubes in a bag. We also made up bags of blue and red ice and red and yellow ice.

Here are our bags filled with colored ice. We labeled each bag with the color of the ice. We then hung them on a door where we could observe the changes throughout the day. This activity was inspired by a blog I read and I can't seem to find it anywhere! When I come across it again, I will be sure to post so I give credit where credit is due!

Today our sensory activity was (naturally) ice! I am always amazed at how much entertainment ice, bowls, spoons, and ice cream scoops provide!

Scooping provides great fine motor coordination practice. 

Wednesday: I is for Instruments!
Book: Musical Instruments By: Ruth Thomson
Songs: We took out our instruments and played along to songs the kids wanted to sing!

Okay, so Wednesday was slim in school content. One by one we each took our turn having a sick day. Wednesday day turned into an overlapping day for a few of us! It was also the day we had a surprise home visit for Lillly. These happen periodically. When these happen we are forced to drop everything to visit with the social worker. The beauty of home school is we do what we can and can work on the rest when we are ready!

We started our morning by reading a nonfiction book about how to make instruments. We learned about many different types of instruments. We brought out our box of instruments and used them to play and sing. Then I turned it into a math game to practice recognizing numbers and counting. I showed Ava number flash cards. She had to tell what number was on the card and then together we all drummed or shook our instruments that many times. 
During art time, we used recycled cans to make our own drums. 

After an interrupted school day and a little remaining energy left in the evening, I brought out the number beads. Ava had fun making number necklaces. I tried to pick a couple numbers and ask her if she could make me a necklace using only the numbers I chose (so she would have to use her number recognition skills!). But, she said that she had her own way of making necklaces. Considering the day we had and that she was fully engaged in doing it her own way, I was perfectly content letting her use the materials as she wanted! 

Next week we have Home School Monday class at the Cincinnati Museum and will spend Tuesday and Wednesday learning about Thanksgiving. We sure have a lot to be thankful for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment